We were so excited for Nicole and Ryan, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to move into their new home, and I had planned to make a special gift of any sort of a quilty nature for them. When I interviewed Nicole about what they might need, she quickly settled on a couple of throw pillows with text on them. I ended up scouring Pinterest and came up with these on howtodecorate.com for my inspiration:
I started working on the project before Christmas, with the idea that I would have time to get it done on time for our just-after-Christmas family get-together. I printed off the letters, traced the letters onto fusible interfacing backwards, fused the interfacing onto medium grey Kona solid fabric when, suddenly all my plans were halted by a nasty Christmas Flu bug. I knew I was really sick when I was not interested in trying to sew for a few days in a row. Finally, I got up the energy to cut the letters out, while sitting on the couch under my heating pad, wrapped in a couple of sweaters and a blanket.
On day 5 of the flu of a lifetime, my dear daughter made me some chicken soup and knocked me back on track.
I finally I managed to raw-edge applique the letters on the 18″ square solid white background before running out of time. Because Nicole’s style is very clean and sleek, I opted to use a bold straight stitch in the same hue as the letters to pin it down, rather than a buttonhole stitch or zigzag.
I admitted my hold-up at the Christmas party, and was then granted nearly three months of grace period before these bad boys needed to be finished, since I knew we would certainly be getting together for my nephew’s birthday in March. The project was shelved while I worked on some other finish-a-long priorities.
Then came early March. I pulled the pillows out and sandwiched-up with plenty of safety pins:
Then I realized that I could have saved myself a ton of effort by simply doing the quilting before doing the appliqué. I had to contour each letter and attempt to make the lines match up, which is quite a challenge when using irregular spacing between lines of quilting. Oopsie!
Once the quilting was completed, I opted to finish the pillows using an envelope closure technique found in Alexandra Ledgerwood’s book, Improvising Tradition. I chose to bind it in the same background white to keep the focus on the text.
I finished with my teal and grey labels on the back, and was satisfied that this six-months-late housewarming gift would finally make it home to the Mr. and Mrs. of their new home! These pillows mark the third Finish of quarter 1-2017 for the Finish-A-Long! To see my original list, click HERE.
Here is a picture Nicole posted on Instagram :
Follow my blog on Bloglovin’ for more adventures in the Sacred Sewing Space!